Thursday, June 17, 2010

Choose what You want to Be when You Grow Up

What did you want to be when you grew up? Growing up, I pretended to be a doctor, mommy, banker, singer, dancer, or teacher. My goals, passions, and wants changed as I grew up, but I always knew I wanted to be a mommy and teacher. What a blessing to me that I got to be both! Now when I grow up, I want to be a writer, perhaps a professor, and a grandmother. I chuckle because my daughters are 9, 6, and 4, but the thought does make me smile and time does go by fast.

I truly believe it is important to always be thinking and wondering what it is you want to be when you grow up. I was saddened when I asked this of my fourth grade students my first year of teaching and I had a student who could honestly not think of a single thing she might want to do when she grew up. There was nothing, she was at a blank. This surprised me, because it is when you are young that you are fearless and want to be everything! I was also touched when I had a student write about wanting to be a dad. Wow, that got me at my heartstrings, can you imagine the role model he must have had?

So choose what you want to be when you grow up and know that it is never too late to grow up! I have a friend who became a teacher after her babies, her husband a police officer. After over 10 years on the force, he decided he wanted to be a doctor. He is going through medical school right now at the top of his class and in his late thirties. My OBGYN that delivered all of my girls became a doctor after all her girls were grown! Awesome! It doesn't matter how old you are, or how many times you change your mind, it is your future, so think about it and make it happen!

It is when you know what you want to be when you grow up that you can make new goals for your life and can be excited for your future. So whether it be a vet and/or soccer player (what oldest wants to be), a babysitter (what the youngest wants to be), or an art teacher, so that she can wear a smock, (what the middle one wants to be) think about it...what do you want to be when you grow up?

No comments:

Post a Comment