Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Choose your Words Carefully, because they do hurt and are sometimes not Forgotten

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." This is what we learned and heard growing up. It should be "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but they will heal. Words can damage, hurt, and not be forgotten." Remember that words can be forgiven, but they are never truly forgotten, especially the hurtful, hateful ones.

I remember a shameful time in my life when I was in middle school. I wrote my elementary friend a note with words stating how we shouldn't be friends anymore, we were changing. In my mind, I was justified, I wanted this friend to understand why we weren't hanging out together as much anymore. To this day, I am ashamed of the words that I wrote to that dear friend. I believe she has forgiven me, I have asked for forgiveness, but they were words that I will never forget and am ashamed of.

Whether words are spoken or written, no matter how right you think you are to say or write them, be careful. Especially in this day of technology where people can twitter and fb their status. People write about their emotions, may not be the best idea. Think real hard as to whether these are words that will help, build up, encourage, inspire or will they tear down and never be forgotten. How do you want your words to be remembered? I want my words to be remembered for the good, not the bad!

Be careful when you are angry. In the book City of Ember, one of my favorite parts is when the main character's dad speaks of how anger can bring on unintended consequences. Words, when angry, can come out and be regretted. You may not realize the consequences of those words immediately, but they can damage a person or relationship. Sometimes when I am angry, I am silent, because I know if I speak, it will not be kind or pretty. Sometimes when I am angry, I scream (my poor children), I always ask for forgiveness, but I know that my sweet girls will remember the screaming more than the apology, and it breaks my heart.

Choose not to get drawn into the game of telephone. I'm most guilty of this. I'll talk to another mom and we'll get to talking. (I do like to talk!) I have to be cautious of not getting drawn into talking about others. Those words can get spread very easily and it is not fun trying to take them back.

So watch your words. The Bible says "For out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks." Matthew 12:34. May your tongue be tamed for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment